A tough end to the tourney

Paris opens NAL tourney 2-0, but loses final games


After dominating wins in their first two games of the NAL Thanksgiving Tournament, the Paris Tigers had a rough end to the tourney, dropping their last two games against St. Thomas More and La Salette.

St. Thomas More 76, Paris 44

The Paris Tigers lost their their final game of the NAL Thanksgiving Tournament, dropping a 76-44 contest to the St. Thomas More Sabers Friday afternoon.

The Sabers used crisp passing on offense and finished well in transition opportunities — and shot well from three point land. St. Thomas More shot just under 50 percent from beyond the arc while Paris went only 2 for 10.

Bryce Gladding and JT Johnson were tabbed to start for the Tigers in this game for Lorgan Logan Rhoads and an injured Mason Hutchings.

Paris had a solid quarter, picking up open looks from three and around the basket. JT Johnson put Paris up early 5-4 with a corner three pointer. The Sabers got some tough shots down in transition and Matthew Brouwer helped narrow the Paris deficit to 13-11 with two buckets with over a minute left. The Sabers went on a 6-1 run to end the quarter thanks to Tiger turnovers.

After St. Thomas More drained to threes to start the quarter off of Tiger mistakes, turnovers plagued the Tigers throughout most of the quarter. The Sabers continually built their lead off of fast breaks and another three pointer, while the Paris offense went quiet, the only scoring from a Johnson three point foul play and Brouwer free throws. Nathan Zorn came into the game for a defensive spark, and ended up leaving with a foot injury chasing down a possible layup opportunity from the Sabers.

Paris played even for most of the third quarter, bringing some intensity back into the game. Brouwer and Johnson knocked down some shots for Paris, but their momentum was stunted after yet another turnover led to an open court dunk with three minutes left for the Sabers, making the score nearly doubled at 51-25. JT Johnson continually attacked the basket to open up more opportunities, but the Tiger defense did not hold up in transition.

After pushing their lead into the double digits near the end of the third, St. Thomas More was able to start the 30-point running clock with seven minutes left in the fourth. Sam Mays made some driving layups for the Tigers, but they continued to give up easy baskets towards the end of the contest.

Paris Coach Shawn Nugent felt the Tigers didn’t step up with the better competition.

“We had a long talk after the game about not competing. We gave up drives to the basket, and didn’t take care of the basketball, especially as the game went on,” Nugent said.

The leading scorers for Paris were led in scoring by JT Johnson with 11, Matthew Brouwer with 10, and Sam Mays with 6.

Paris plays host to Newton Friday at home.

La Salette 37, Paris 34

The Paris Tigers fell by the score of 37-34 in a low scoring affair with the La Salette Lions Wednesday.

The Tigers had to deal with their 6-10 post player Yves Nkomba. Although the big man found himself in foul trouble in the first half, he was able to impact the game down the stretch.

Fouls plagued the game similar to Monday night’s game with Georgetown. The Tigers wanted to get out and run and were not able to do so.

Also not helping matters was an apparent ankle injury to guard Mason Hutchings in the first quarter. The foul trouble added up to mediocre at best free throw shooting from both squads, with Paris missing 14 total shots that easily could have affected the outcome of the game.

Paris Head Coach Shawn Nugent knew the game would sting afterwards.

“It was a real frustrating game for us, and a lot of it is guys playing some of their first varsity minutes,” the Tiger coach noted. “In this instance, we we’re so caught up on trying to get their big guy to foul out that we ended up with turnovers and blocked shots in the paint.”

The Tigers kept La Salette shut out most of the first quarter, as the Lions ran their offense through Nkomba, who missed some point blank shots. Paris got two free throws from Hutchings early before he left the game as well as a wide open three pointer from JT Johnson with two minutes left, helping Paris to 5-4 lead after one.

Nkomba picked up his third foul with 6 minutes left in the second quarter sending him to the bench. Garrett King helped pick up the scoring pace for Paris with a steal that turned into a fast break layup and then gunned a half court length baseball pass to Johnson, who converted the three point foul play.

Jude Sullivan opened the second half with a three pointer for Paris and the Lions answered with one of their own the next time down the floor, pulling Paris to within six at 20-14.

After Matthew Brouwer picked up his fourth foul with 5:36 left, the Lions increased their intensity on the offensive glass, leading to extra possessions. Another bucket from Sullivan and two from Landrum paced the Tigers in third.

Brouwer put the Tigers up 31-30, but then fouled out soon after. Missed free throws plagued both teams as the scoring stagnated.

“Matthew knew he would have a tough game and handled Nkomba all right. He got in some foul trouble and I put him back early in the fourth to see how he could do as a learning experience,” Nugent said.

With under a minute left down 38-33, Bryce Gladding scored on two runners in the paint on back-to-back possessions, to make it 38-37. With 20 seconds left, Johnson missed two free throws, and the Lions converted theirs with Paris fouling to get the ball back.

After calling a timeout, Paris set up a corner three for Garrett King but it rimmed out on the back iron, ending the game.

“Garrett had to play extra minutes with Hutchings out early and he did a nice job. I thought that shot was on line to go in. I’m proud he was able to step up in that moment, though it didn’t work out,” Nugent concluded.

Paris 88, Chrisman 45

The Paris boys moved their record to 2-0 in the NAL Thanksgiving Tournament over the Chrisman Cardinals by the score of 88-45 Tuesday.

Paris jumped out to a big first quarter lead by forcing turnovers and being active around the basket. Chrisman was able to put some offense in the second and third quarters, but were not able to cut back into the lead. They were led in scoring by Dylan Bogard with 15 and Davis Hale with 11.

Logan Rhoads paced the early scoring for the Tigers with six of the first eight points, while Matthew Brouwer got some easy post baskets. Mason Hutchings converted some steals into layups, to bring the score to 16-0 halfway through the quarter.Dylan Bogard got Chrisman on the board with one of his three total three pointers on the night. Hutchings continued to be a pest on inbounds passes and rebounding, starting two more fast breaks, ending the quarter up 24-7.

Davis Hale came alive in the second quarter for the Cardinals, scoring all 11 of his points for the game on some floaters in the lane and free throws. Chrisman wasn’t able to take advantage of being put in the bonus early in the second quarter.

The Paris offense got a huge scoring burst from sophomore Garrett King, who had 9 points in the quarter. Matthew Brouwer also dropped 6 points. Backup center Dustin Creech also got in on the action with 4 points as well.

Coach Nugent has noticed the contributions from his junior center.

“Matthew Brouwer has really changed his mind set this year in that he’s more decisive around the basket,” he said. “It opens up our offense and we’re able to get the action off of it we want as well.”

Up 51-24 entering the third, the Tigers continued to get out and run getting even scoring from across the roster. Bogard knocked down two more three pointers to keep close for the quarter for the Cardinals.

“We had some miscommunication on defense with so many guys subbing in an out,” Nugent noted.

The assertive mindset of Paris put two Tiger players out of the game. A scary moment occurred later in the third when the heads of Garrett King and Bryce Gladding collided going for a loose ball. Both were able to walk off, but sat the rest of the game.

The fourth quarter consisted of a running clock as the end of the bench came in, getting multiple baskets from Sam Mays and Nathan Zorn to round out the game.

Brouwer and Hutchings led the way with 16 points apiece, followed by Logan Rhoads with 12 and Garrett King with 10.

Paris 53, GTRF 40

A new Paris boys basketball team kicked off their 2018 season with a win over the Georgetown-Ridge Farm Buffalos by the score of 52-40 in the opening game of the NAL Thanksgiving Tournament.

Rust was apparent on both sides when it came to turnovers, and in the case of the Buffalos, constant fouls.

Paris Head Coach Shawn Nugent somewhat expected that type of game.

“It was kind of a rough one, especially with all of the new guys we have, but we have more depth this year we can use. We started three sophomores and that can be an issue with experience.,” he noted.

Paris found themselves down 7-2 just three minutes into the game, missing several close shots around the basket. Matthew Brouwer gained two quick baskets and Colton Landrum had a steal and layup to give Paris the lead. Georgetown sank another three, but it would be their last score of the quarter.

With Paris already in the foul bonus to enter the second quarter up 12-10 Paris slowly began to expand its lead on the foul prone Buffalos.

Paris moved the ball well on fast breaks, happily sharing with their teammates. Logan Rhoads, Mason Hutchings, and Brouwer all scored more than once in the quarter for Paris, but the Buffalos crept back with more three pointers, to trim their deficit to five points at the half.

Georgetown tied the game at 27 a minute into the half before the Paris offense began to stretch the lead.

The Tigers went on a 14-0 run across most of the quarter, led in part by six straight points from Brouwer. Brouwer made his presence known throughout the game, leading Paris in scoring with 18, and also tabbing five blocked shots. Logan Rhoads chipped in 11 points and TJ Johnson and Colton Landrum split the team lead in assists with four each out of 17 total.

Entering the fourth up 43-29, both teams played evenly on the scoreboard as the game slowed down due to fouls.

As the fouls began to accumulate again in the second half, Coach Nugent admired his team’s composure. “I told them in between quarters it’s probably going to be an all game issue, and just for us to go out and play. I liked that about us, given some of our youth,” he explained

Georgetown went on a 7-0 run of their own to bring the score to 46-38, but the Buffaloes could not get any closer thanks to free throws and a fast break layup from Mason Hutchings down the stretch of the game.

“We had a few guys we had to wait on from the football season extending, and we’re hoping that attitude and accomplishment carries over to our guys this year.,” Nugent said.