Carbon monoxide claims Paris woman

Special to The Prairie Press
Posted 9/8/20

Edgar County Coroner Scott Barrett announced late Wednesday afternoon, Sept. 2, a Paris woman died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Barrett said authorities were summoned to the home of …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail or username
Password
Log in

Carbon monoxide claims Paris woman

Posted

Edgar County Coroner Scott Barrett announced late Wednesday afternoon, Sept. 2, a Paris woman died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Barrett said authorities were summoned to the home of Marcella A. Bright, 70,  at 2:40 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 29, for a welfare check by a concerned friend who was unable to contact Bright by several means and after observing her through a window was alarmed because she was unresponsive.

Within minutes of the call the Paris Police, Paris Fire Department and Horizon Health Ambulance were all on scene.

“Upon arrival, Paris Police forced entry into the residence, and it was determined to summon the coroner,” said Barrett. “Testing by the Paris Fire Department showed carbon monoxide levels in the residence at 145 ppm. Blood tests conducted showed carbon monoxide levels in her system at 65%. Levels above 30% can be fatal.”

An autopsy and lab testing conducted Monday morning, Aug. 31, at Terre Haute Regional Hospital by Forensic Pathologist Dele Adeagbo revealed the official cause of death as carbon monoxide toxicity.

Barrett said a coroner’s investigation into the matter showed that upon arriving home the evening of Friday, Aug. 28, Mrs. Bright pulled her car into her attached garage and accidentally failed to turn off the ignition when she exited the car and went into her home. Having left her vehicle running all night, it had eventually run out of gas.

She was discovered in her bed in a bedroom on the other end of the residence. Authorities were unable to locate any carbon monoxide detectors in the residence.